Bill Johnson, current President of the Zachary Men’s Club, & Floyd Pelichet, former President of the Zachary Men’s Club, are two of the Zachary residents featured in our Black History Makers feature in the winter 2023 issue.
Founded in 1959
Zachary Men’s Club was founded in 1959. At the time Zachary was incredibly racially divided, segregation meant that Black residents “suffered deprivation of the basic things of life that were necessary to a happy life and the future of [their] children.”
The Men’s Club addressed this first by creating recreational facilities and activities for young people. Later, by building a community center and charitable organization that provides grants and scholarships to Zachary students.
The community center is available to rent for get-togethers. Funds collected are used to support community scholarships and grants. During the Flood of 2016, The Club was also used as a FEMA center and was visited by then-President Obama.
Giving Back to the Community
It’s not just during times of natural disaster that the Men’s Club helps Zachary citizens. They have a strong working relationship with the Social Services Board and donated land for the Zachary Food Bank. The Club truly lives up to its motto of “Where there is a need; we are Men indeed.”
The Men’s Club is located at 5746 Rollins Road, Zachary.
For more information, call (225) 570-8011.